Monday, October 16, 2006

Weekend

On Friday I had all but given up my plans of heading down to Albuquerque for the weekend. Then I received a call from my brother and he and his family were going to go down. Upon this discovery, I put my plans back into action.

Upon getting off of work, I hurried to the bank to cash my check and then home to gather my things. I am glad that my brother was able to lock down some rooms with how busy Albuquerque was this weekend. It even had an indoor pool hot tub and sauna. For those who know me, those are the most important things to have when staying at a hotel.

Saturday morning was the first cyclocross race of the season and I was a bit anxious. I awoke several times through out the night thinking of it. Well the way they had the classes set up was that the men's 1, 2, 3, and 4's all raced together, even thought they were scored seperately. This would have been fine, but it seemed like everyone in my race was a 1 or 2. I know I am not in the best of shape and the course was a long fast one, yet I managed to get lapped about on the 4th lap or somewhere like that. I was just happy that I had the chance and I did not wreck or brake anything. I saw a number of riders who wrecked, flatted and even 2 broken cranks.

That afternoon Calvin was racing in Albuquerque as well. I was pretty excited since this was my first time to watch him on asphalt. He did not have the best of qualifying races but sure stepped it up for the 100 lap main. There were a number of spinouts and wrecks. Luckily he got through it all unscathed and finished in 10th. The rest of the day was spent relaxing and enjoying the down time.

For dinner we went to Olive Garden and were treated to some wonderful service, thanks to Loren. I graduated with him and had not seen him since doing so. He is a manager there and we were lucky to get seated in about 5 minutes rather than the 30 the hostess had told us. Also, If that was not enough Loren managed to get our bill cut in half. What a guy! A big thanks to him for everything. I also wish him the best with his marriage and his new 7 month old baby girl.

Finally upon getting to sleep that night all I could think about was getting some rest and looking forward to another day. At about 2:30 am on Sunday morning I awoke because I needed some water and water is what I got! As I was getting out of bed I heard the sound or rain coming from my room's door. So as I headed to the door as to see why it was raining in the hallway, I was suddenly sloshing in my wet socks. So as I opened the door, I saw at least 1 inch of standing water in the hall and a large steady stream falling from the ceiling. Apparently a water line had busted. My room was on the 3rd floor and by the time I talked to someone about it, it was already finding itself down into the 1st floor. I am not sure how long it was flooding before I came across it but it lasted another hour before it was shut off and cleaned up. Of course there were a number of guys working on the project right outside my door and yappin' away at the same time. As If that was not bad enough, they brought out a few shop vacs to remove the water. Luckily for me it was already 3:30 and I was falling back into my unconscious state. I fell asleep soon after, even though the work had not yet been completed. In the morning I discovered that the water had reached my all the way to the bed. Fortunately, I had picked up all my clothes and bags from the floor. What didn't make sense though was that my brother was in the room straight across the hall and the water miracously stopped at his door!

Sunday, was a chill day as I just partook in a few of my favorite stores that I do not have regular exposure to. REI, Sportsman's Warehouse, and of course CB. I managed to not purchase anything until I got to the mall. I found what I was looking for and am happy that I found some cafe' cups and some cappuccino mugs at
Williams-Sonoma.

Overall the trip went well and everyone made it back home safely. Too bad that I had to wake up this morning and go back to that icky thing called work.


"Super Joe Daddy"



On a final note, I hope that Marie had a wonderful birthday on Sunday and a great time out on the town Saturday night.

No comments: