Monday, November 17, 2008

More waiting...

The new adventure was instead of me driving north to get back home, I drove south back to Texas. Yes, down to the west Texas town of El Paso. Luckily I got ahold of my friends and they let me in the gate to this place so I could go sleep in the plush motor home/race hauler.

My buddy Mike woke me up the next morning when he got there after seeing my truck. The race cars were not ready to go so we busted our tails to get ready and loaded and to the track by race time. The race that was going on that weekend was the Fall Nationals, in Las Cruces, New Mexico, which is about 45 minutes from El Paso. It was a 3 day show, Friday at 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m. Basically you had to qualify for the big race on Sunday with the shorter races on Friday, Saturday and the last chance race on Sunday.

It was a very busy weekend since we were taking care of 3 different cars. Of course there were alot of suspension changes we had to go thru as well as countless tire changes made. And you can't forget rebuilding a front left tire assembly, consisting of A arm, spindle, brake calipers, rewelding some stuff, torsion bar just to name a little bit. Also swapping engines in one of the cars.

Well unfortunately none of our 3 cars made it to the big show on Sunday, so we had to sit back and watch who would be taking home the top prize of $10k. The race started off well and it looked like it would be interesting but about 10 laps into the 50 lap race, the track went away and turned into a one grove race track. So for the remaining 40 laps we had to watch a boring race of follow the leader. In a way I am glad that we didn't make the big show because it really would have been depressing for our drivers to be out there and to watch them in that situation that could not have any good outcome.

Finally as the races wrapped up on Sunday evening and we were done loading the cars and everything up, it was back to El Paso. We got back to El Paso around 10 p.m. We jumped in our personal vehicles and went and ate. I wasn't the feeling the best from being in the warm southern sun and was pretty tired. I wasn't able to eat very much, so I sat and tried to enjoy the last few minutes I had with my friends. When we finished I told the goodbye and then it was back into my truck to head back to Las Cruces as I started to make my way home.

Needless to say I pushed myself extremely hard and drove thru the night after leaving El Paso at 11:30 p.m. and pulled into my driveway at 6 a.m. It was very difficult to keep from falling asleep several different times. Somehow I managed to make it in one piece though.

I am terribly sorry because I really wanted this story to include more details. I hope you enjoy it nonetheless. I really see myself coming out of my not blogging phase. I had some depressing news come my way this weekend and last week was a rough one as well. I was able though to get some advice from friends and it really helped me to get pass those events and people. That was a big problem of mine as I was waisting my time on someone who was not willing to waist time on me.

Thank you again for stopping in.

1 comment:

emily and Nate said...

sounds like an adventure, 'm glad you made it home in one piece!